Cold winter days call for some warm and spicy chicken chili! If you're going to be away from home the majority of the day and don't have much time in the morning to prepare dinner, this slow cooker recipe is perfect for you! So simple, you just toss everything in the crock pot in the morning and cook it all day long!
Best part about this recipe is that the chicken actually cooks right in the chili, so you don't need to spend time browning the meat like you normally would need to do if it was ground turkey or beef.
Another tip is to cut up the vegetables the night before so you can just dump it in the crock pot in the morning to save on time. By doing this, It should only take you an extra 5 minutes in the morning to dump everything into the crock pot.
- 3 Five Star boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn, drained (or one bag Cascadian Farm Organic Frozen Corn)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8.25 ounces unsalted chicken stock (I like my chili thick but you can add more if you’d like)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- A few pickled jalapeño peppers, chopped (add more if you like it spicier)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Optional toppings & extra goodies:
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chipotle Tobasco Sauce
1. Chop up the onions, peppers, and jalapenos. Add this to the crock pot. If you're making this the night before to save time, just place them all in a ziplock bag so you can dump it into the crock pot in the morning.
2. Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot except the chicken. Stir it up.
3. Add the raw chicken to the crock pot. Try to put it under the rest of the ingredients so it cooks evenly.
4. Cook it on low for 8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.
5. Once it's done cooking, shread the chicken using two forks in the crockpot and mix it up again.
7. Optional: Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro, or chipotle tobasco sauce, or pour it overtop of a piece of cornbread!