Warm weather has arrived! It's the perfect opportunity to enjoy longer days, mild temperatures and al fresco meals with the ones you love.
What goes really well with wine, cheese and a blanket in the grass? Delicious Certified Angus Beef® appetizers! They are healthy, free of added hormones, quick to prepare and easily transportable in your favorite picnic basket.
Try your hand at these 7 CAB finger food recipes and prepare to picnic Five Star Style:
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® top sirloin or tri-tip steak, diced in 1/8" pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilies
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro or flat leaf Italian parsley
- 2 (11-ounce) tubes raw pizza dough, thin crust
- 1/4 cup flour, for work surface
- 4-inch cookie cutter (large drinking cup works well too)
- In a large sauté pan sear beef in a single layer with olive oil on medium high heat. Sear in batches to avoid steaming, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add butter and onion to pan; simmer for 3 minutes until onions become transparent. Add garlic, cumin, cumin seeds, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine beef with onion mixture. Stir in green chilies and cilantro. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into 2 large rectangles; dust with flour as needed. Cut eight 4-inch circles from each half.
- Put 1/3 cup of empanada mixture in each half-circle. Use water on the edge as needed to seal. Line empanadas on a sheet tray. Bake approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
Easy Latin Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 2 cups jasmine rice, cooked
- 2 limes
- 1 bunch cilantro, divided
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce, washed, separated and drained
- 1 jar (10-12 ounces) of your favorite salsa
- Season ground beef with adobo seasoning; brown beef and drain.
- Season cooked rice with finely chopped zest of two limes, juice of one lime and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
- Serve beef, rice, lettuce and salsa in separate dishes so guests can build their own wraps.
- Nutritional information based on appetizer portions.
Spicy Steak Satays with Pumpkin Aioli
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® top sirloin, cut across the grain into 12 thin strips
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Thread each steak strip onto skewers. Season steak with salt and cayenne pepper; grill to desired doneness.
- Make pumpkin aioli by whisking together mayonnaise, pumpkin purée, pumpkin spice and apple cider until smooth.
- Serve skewers with aioli.
- Chef’s Note: If using wooden skewers, soak in water overnight.
Roast Beef & Brie Bruschetta
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® deli roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup melted butter, clarified preferred
- 1 French baguette, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade (cut into ribbon-like strips)
- 1 (8-ounce) jar prepared horseradish sauce
- 8 ounces Brie, skin removed, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup toasted almond slivers
- 1/2 cup cornichons or baby gherkins, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss baguette slices with melted butter, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and chiffonaded basil. Toast in oven until lightly browned. Cool.
- Spread toasted bread slices with prepared horseradish sauce, top with 2 to 3 slices of roast beef. Place a slice of Brie cheese on each piece and place in oven until melted.
- Remove from oven, garnish immediately with almond slivers, red pepper slice and cornichon slice. Serve warm.
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® deli pastrami, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Italian Pepper & Onion Seasoning Blend
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 bunch rosemary
- Mix together cream cheese, onion and McCormick® seasoning blend. Spread evenly on pastrami slices.
- Roll pastrami and slice into wheels. Place wheels on pepper chunks, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs if desired. Serve cold.
Thai Spring Roles
- 3/4 pound Certified Angus Beef ® sirloin, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sriracha or pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces pre-packaged slaw mix
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- 12 pieces asparagus (2 to 3 inches), blanched, cut in half lengthwise
- 12 ounces pre-packaged Mediterranean salad mix
- 6 ounces Asian sesame with Ginger salad dressing or any soy-based salad dressing
- 16 mandarin orange segments
- 1/4 cup chow mein noodles
- Combine sriracha, curry and sesame seeds and marinate sirloin overnight in refrigerator.
- Combine vinegar, mirin, ginger, sugar and salt; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn off; let sit for 10 minutes. Pour liquid through strainer over slaw mix, cool and marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- In large skillet, heat oil to smoking point. Panfry steaks to desired doneness. Transfer steaks to cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Slice diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Place spring roll wrappers in hot water until they become pliable. Towards the bottom of each wrapper, place 1 ounce slaw mix, 1 1/2 ounces beef and 3 asparagus spears. Roll like an egg roll keeping it firmly wrapped.
- In medium-sized bowl, place Mediterranean salad mix. Add salad dressing and toss to coat.
- To serve, place salad mix on plate, top with 3 mandarin oranges and chow mein noodles; top with spring roll.
Mediterranean Steak Flatbread
Serves 4 flatbreads
- 1 16-ounce Certified Angus Beef ® top sirloin steak
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 pre-baked naan bread or similar flatbread
- 1/2 cup olive tapenade
- 1/2 cup grated or hand-shaved Parmesano Reggiano cheese
- 2 heads frisée lettuce, outer dark green leaves removed, ripped in bite size pieces
- Preheat grill to medium high and place a cast iron pan or grill vegetable basket on the grill. Season steak with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss tomatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place tomatoes in hot pan, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to blister, about 2 minutes; remove and set aside.
- Grill steak in cast iron or directly on grate to desired doneness (125°-130°F for medium rare). Remove from grill and let rest.
- Reduce grill temperature to medium. Brush naan on both sides with remaining olive oil and crisp on grill, 1 minute per side.
- Slice steak thinly against the grain.
- Spread naan with olive tapenade and top with blistered tomatoes, steak, frisée and parmesan. If desired, drizzle lightly with additional olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Slice and serve.
Have a favorite picnic recipe? Share it with us below!