It’s 8:30 pm and your stomach is growling, you reach for that tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and then pause… “should I really be eating this?”
You quickly track this meal in the MyFitnessPal App on your smartphone and realize this puts you 300 calories over your 2000 calorie limit for the day. You also realized that it doesn’t have a nutritional benefit, so you think, “I know I shouldn’t eat that!”
Instead you grab half a cup of greek yogurt, some pineapple and coconut flakes eat that instead.
While, the yogurt parfait may not be as indulgent as the mint chocolate chip ice cream that you just skipped out on, you stayed on track and will be able to hit your goals much easier now. Plus, let’s be real, hitting your weight-loss (or weight-gain) goals will put a much bigger smile on your face than that chocolate chip ice cream ever will!
What is MyFitnessPal?
MyFitnessPal is a powerful tool that can be accessed on your smartphone or online to help users track their meals and physical activity. By tracking what you eat and how much activity you’ve done, it’s easy to see what you have to do to stay on track and live a healthier lifestyle. In fact, according to some medical studdies, keeping a food journal doubles your weight loss!
Download the app today to get started.
Here’s how it works:
1. You’ll create a profile which includes information about your height, weight, lifestyle, and goals (to gain or lose weight). Based on this information, they will recommend a calorie target to strive towards.
2. When you eat and exercise, you can easily log your meals and activities in the food and exercise diaries. By recording this, MyFitnessPal will be able to calculate the number of calories you’ve consumed from food and burned from exercise, and let you know how many calories you have left to eat for the day. If you stick to these limits, you should be able to hit your goals.
Plus, the more you use the app, the easier it gets! MyFitnessPal will remember foods and exercises that you like the most and it will be even easier for you to add these to your diary.
Note: MyFitnessPal easily syncs with your FitBit, apple watch and a few other fitness trackers. Just make sure you sync it under apps & devices in the MyFitnessPal app.
3. Periodically weigh yourself and update the app so the app can adjust for your new weight and provide you with the most accurate recommendations.
It’s that simple! For just a few minutes a day you can learn so much more about the foods that you’re eating and how they impact your health.
Other Great Benefits of MyFitnessPal:
- Tracks your sodium intake and will notify you if a specific food is high in sodium.
- If you’re watching your cholesterol, this tracks your dietary cholesterol so you can stay on track and try to avoid foods high in cholesterol.
- Will notify you if you met your protein goal for the day
- Easily access MyFitnessPal’s blog for recipe inspiration and nutritional advice
- Ability to add your friends on the app for support, encouragement, advice and tips from the people you trust most
- Track your water intake to make sure you’re staying hydrated throughout the day
Five Star Home Foods’ Products Are Now On MyFitnessPal
We just added nearly 300 items to MyFitnessPal to make it even easier for you to get started! This means all of the nutritional information for any of the products that are delivered to your home from Five Star Home Foods are already in the MyFitnessPal system. So, all you need to do when logging your food is type in the name of the food (ex. Chicken Fajita Strips), add Five Star Home Foods as the brand, and select how many servings you ate - it’s that simple!