How would you like to train your body to burn fat for fuel instead of burning glucose?
Sounds intriguing doesn’t it? This just happens to be the basis for the Ketogenic Diet, one of this year’s most popular health trends!
How does it work?
By increasing your intake of healthy fats and limiting carbohydrates, you cause your body to enter a metabolic state called Ketosis, in which it produces ketone bodies from fat to use as energy.
Among its laundry list of health benefits, various studies show the Ketogenic Diet:
- Helps feed your brain, which is 60% fat
- Increases levels of brain-protective antioxidants
- Has anti-inflammatory effects on the GI system
- Increases energy levels
- Decreases hunger & overall caloric intake
- Helps you lose more weight than on a low-fat diet
- Lowers blood sugar levels
- Slows growth of certain Cancerous tumors
- Slows progression of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Reduces seizures in epileptic children
Ready to give Keto a try? Here are three recipe ideas that are high in good fats and low in carbs to get you off to a great start!
And don’t forget to Request your FREE Five Star Home Foods Sample Pack of healthy natural meats and organic vegetables, the perfect way to learn about our Keto-friendly home delivery service!
Chicken Club Stuffed Avocados
6 oz Five Star grilled chicken, diced
4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
⅓ cup tomato, diced
4 tbsp. mayo
3 tbsp. cilantro
salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut avocados in half and remove pits.
- Scoop out avocado and mash in bowl with fork.
- Combine mashed avocado with mayo and seasoning.
- Add diced chicken, bacon, tomatoes, cilantro and juice from half lime.
- Add mixture into avocado, sprinkle with remaining bacon and cilantro if desired.
- Squeeze lime juice over top and serve.
4 (1/4-lb.) Five Star Certified Angus ground beef patties
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
12 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 lettuce leaves
2 thick tomato slices
2 red onion slices
2 slices sharp cheddar
- Season the beef patties with salt and pepper. Cook them on a hot cast iron griddle, 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and allow to rest, loosely covered in foil, for 5 minutes.
- While meat is resting, assemble the remaining ingredients.
- To assemble the “sandwiches,” grab two plates. Place one cooked patty on each plate. Spread it with mustard. on top of the mustard, layer the lettuce, onion, tomato, cheese, and then top with another cooked patty. Serve immediately, with extra napkins. 🙂
Scallops with Creamed Spinach & Chorizo
1 lb Five Star raw scallops, raw (450 g/ 16 oz) – depending on the size 2-5 scallops per person
2 lb frozen and thawed spinach (900 g) ~ 500 g/ 17 oz after draining
½ Spanish chorizo sausage or salami (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
¼ cup heavy whipping cream (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp salt (pink Himalayan)
2-4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice and lemon wedges for garnish
freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the spinach and chorizo. Squeeze any excess water out of the spinach and slice or dice the chorizo sausage.
- Place the chorizo sausage on a hot pan greased with one tablespoon of ghee and cook on medium-high until crisped up for 3-5 minutes. When done, use a slotted spoon and transfer the cooked chorizo into a bowl.
- Prepare the scallops. Wash the scallops under cold running water to remove any gritty parts. There are two edible parts: the main white muscle and the roe.
- The small side-muscle that attaches the scallop to the shell is too tough for consumption and has to be removed and discarded. If you buy scallops with frill and gut, these also have to be removed. Again, clean the scallops under cold running water. Then, halve the scallops widthwise and place the scallops and the roe on a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture. Season the scallops with salt.
- Pan-sear the scallops. Return the pan where you cooked the chorizo to heat. When the pan is hot, add the scallops in a single layer. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes and then flip over and cook for another 2 minutes. If the scallop is stuck to the pan, wait for a few more seconds before flipping. Both sides of the scallops should be seared lightly golden and look opaque when cooked. Do not overcook your scallops or they will become tough and chewy. Once cooked, remove the scallops from the pan and place on a plate.
- Repeat for the remaining batch of scallops and roe. Once all the scallops and roe are cooked, return them to the pan and add the cooked chorizo sausage. Cook for 30-60 seconds just to heat up. When done, transfer into a plate and keep warm near the cooker – do not leave the scallops in the hot pan or they will keep cooking.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the garlic and place in a pan greased with the remaining two tablespoons of ghee. Cook until fragrant while stirring for just a few minutes. Then add the drained spinach and stir well.
- Pour in the cream and cook for just about a minute. Add grated parmesan cheese, mix and take off the heat. When done, set aside.
- Place the creamed spinach on a serving plate, or scallop shells if you have them. Top with scallops and chorizo. Drizzle with fresh lemon and garnish with black pepper and parsley.
If using shells instead of serving plates, make sure to boil them for 2-3 minutes before adding any food on top.
Have you tried the Keto diet? What are some of your favorite Keto recipes? Leave us a comment below!